Crete travel guide – how to have a splendid time

Crete travel guide – how to have a splendid time
03/11/2019 pilotpatrick
Crete travel guide

Collaboration / Anzeige

Dear Aviators,

are you already thinking about next vacation season in Europe? I am 🙂 This year I was able to visit many beautiful places in Europe and I cannot wait to chase new destionations next year. My last private trip was to Chania on Crete. In this blog I will share this hot gem with you. Enjoy my Crete travel guide.

Crete – 88th biggest island in the world

Picture perfect Chania

Why Chania on Crete in Greece?

I finsihed my flight duty in Athens in Greece and I needed a time-out after some stressfull period. Like my Zakynthos trip, Crete is a only a 30 minutes flight away from Athens and the weather is still pleasant in autumn. In Berlin it was rainy and cold so I thought why do not spend my off days on the 88th largest island in the world and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea.

Last time I was on Crete is over 10 years ago. A really good german friend I know since my childhood moved to Chania after we went to highschool togehter. It was always my biggest wish to visit her again.

Chania Crete

Narrow streets old town Chania

Sunset by the port

How to stay fit while traveling

I love to travel and to fly, but do not get me wrong I also hate it. Like everything in life is has its downsides. It is a lot harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In one of my latest videos on YouTube, I share with you my fitness routine. Please make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel as well.

Outdoor workout area

Domes Noruz – a unique hotel

When I first saw some photos of the Domes Noruz Chania I thought it must be a dream staying at this hotel. The award-winning hotel belongs to the Autograph collection hotels of the Marriot group. So my expectations before arrival were lets say extremely high.

The Domes Noruz Chania consits of only 83-rooms and suites giving it a boutique style character. For those seeking a relaxing and calm time-out this place in Chania is ideal, since it is adults only.

The entire hotel complex is well designed with a fresh and contemporary touch. It is unique and different which makes the stay so exciting and special. Just have a look at my suite then you know what I mean.

Lobby Domes Noruz Chania

Quiet zone area

Salis Chania

My suite

I stayed in Sublime loft located on two levels. In my entrance area I had a small private plunge pool. Adjacent to it was my bedroom and bathroom. Upstairs was small living room and a sliding door which led to the my huge private terrace. Besides a sunbeds, a hammock, it featured a round bathtub with stunning views of the Aegean Sea.

Warm welcome

Sublime Suite Domes Noruz Chania

Quiet zone pool area

Private terrace Domes Noruz Chania

The beautiful envirmonemt, the direct beach access and luxurious facitlies make it very hard to leave the hotel property, but you at least should plan one day to discover Chania. Especially the picture perfect old town is worth a visit. It offers a blend of Ottoman, Venetian and Greek architectures creating a stunning setting. Many Crete travel guide(s) rate Chania to be one of the most beautiful cities in the Mediterranean Sea.

Private beach Domes Noruz

Balos – the Instagram beach

Balos Beach and Lagoon is a must visit when you are on Crete. I have been to many beautiful beaches around the world, but the Balos lagoon is a personal highlight for me.

The famous lagoon of Balos is located approximately 56km northwest of Chania and it is defintely no hidden gem anymore. Its wild natural beauty and the beautiful exotic scenery are stunning. By car it is about an hour drive from Chania, but you can also take the ferry running from Kissamos port. In the summer time it can get really crowded. Even in Mid October it was still quite busy.

Balos beach

Gravel road to Balos Beach

on the way to Balos

worth the drive and walk

My hot Crete travel guide tip

Arrive early in the morning. I recommend around 10 am or even earlier by car to avoid huge crowds. The 10 km dirt road drive to the parking lot is already quite an adventure. From there it is about a 3 km hike down to the beach. The views of the vivid blue and turquoise waters are breathtaking. Bring enough water, sun protection and proper shoes.

When you are done “beaching” you can stop for some food at the Orange Blue cafe. This place is located at a nice setting with stunning views. Simple but good food. The sunset from there must be magnificent from this place.

Orange Blue Cafe

Balos beach: Caribbean feeling on Crete

Orange Blue cafe

Where to eat the best food

Food has a very high significance for the greek poeple. That is why you will not have hard time to find tasty food. I can definitely recommend leaving the hotel to discover the Cretan diet, which is uncomplicated and made from fresh, healthy ingredients. I noticed that many places use ingredients, which are grown in Crete’s natural environment.

Salis Chania

Recommendations in Chania

Salis Chania: located at the water front of the old town of Chania. The menu offers a lot of specialites and many fresh fish dishes with a contemporary touch.

Salis Chania

Salis Chania

Abandoned houses – Old Town, Chania

Salavantes: Cretean cuisine with local ingredients and a modern interpretation of the dishes. Simple but extremely tasty. I went there two times in a row, because it was so good.

Carte Postale: As the name suggests: the view is like strraight from a post card. Besides a coffee you can also enjoy tasty food while enjoying a magnificent view of Chania.

Carte Postale Chania

Carte Postale Chania

Carte Postale Chania

I hope you enjoyed reading my Crete travel guide. Next holiday season I am looking forward to traveling to Greece again. On my bucket list I still have the more popular islands Mykonos and Santorini to tick off. Have you made your travel plans for next holiday season already? Where are you planning to go? Let me know in a comment below.

As always safe travels and happy landings!

Your PilotPatrick

1. Emmy Puspasari Indonesia 1 week ago

Your Blog about Cania on Crete is really complete information , especially the beach and foods are amazing , so people will feel comfort and relax to enjoy holiday because the facilities there is great !!! Maybe one day. I love to see Cania and Santorini… ❤ this is really amazing Blog !!

2. lauren1pang 1 week ago

Ich habe keine Flugreisepläne für November oder Dezember. Wenn sich etwas ändert, werde ich es Sie wissen lassen. ja dein griechischer reiseführer ist wunderschön und wunderschön. Erstaunliche Fotos. Ich muss bald zur Arbeit gehen.

3. mimosa0120 1 week ago

Crete is truly a beautiful island, with Domes noluz hotel with modern, cozy and unique design. I like the private terrace area with amazing sea views. There is a quiet space to relax and the outdoor fitness area is very comfortable and convenient. Especially the food on the island is made from fresh and clean ingredients on the island. and Balos beach is really impressive. Worth a visit once. The pictures you choose are very beautiful. The streets of the old town are full of flowers, the sunset in the harbor is amazing and much more. It all creates a colorful setting. Thank you for giving us these great travel tips and experiences. have a wonderful sunday, my Prince

4. Aateera Hosein 1 week ago

Love it! Thanks to you Patrick, I fell in love with Zakynthos, and now Chaniá, Crete. I got starry eyed by the beautiful turquoise waters of Balos Beach Lagoon. I love the beautiful ambiences of the exceptional luxurious accommodations, and the views of the lovely city and the natural beauty. I appreciate your wonderful insights and fantastic photos to these beautiful places in Greece, which have now made its way onto my ‘around the world travel’ list! The only problem is that I have to decide which one of these gorgeous places in Greece to visit first Zakynthos or Chaniá, Crete?!

5. Shiran Abraham 1 week ago

Great comment section working now, I have been waiting for giving you a comment. As always, an informative blog you describe very well. I always enjoy reading your blog. Greece is my bucket list one Day I will go for Vacation for sure. Thanks, for sharing Captain gorgeous, you’re the best.

6. Maite Vargas 1 week ago

Good afternoon! my dear captain Patrick. I red your new blog and I think it is so great. Thanks to you my dear captain Patrick, in your last Zakynthos trip I felt in love with this fabulous place and I would like to go on vacation to this paradisiacal island but really is worth a visit to the 88th largest island in the world and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. Chania Crete. I liked so much the extraordinary hotel wher you stayed. The Domes Noruz Chania Hotel is well designed with a fresh and contemporary touch. I liked vey much your suite (Sublime Suite Domes Noruz Chania ) dear captain, especially your huge private terrace. Besides a sunbeds, a hammock, it featured a round bathtub with stunning views of the Aegean Sea. Also, I liked so much Narrow streets old town Chania Quiet zone area, Quiet zone pool area, Sunset by the port and the Private beach Domes Noruz. It would be splendid to go to Salis Chania for enjoying many fresh fish dishes or to go to Orange Blue Café. Salavantes and Carte Postale look fantastic to go to enjoy delicious dishes and a delicious coffee and contemplating the magnificent view of Chania. Finally, Balos Beach and Lagoon with its wild natural beauty and the beautiful exotic scenery seems so wonderful, splendid and so relaxing. Dear captain Patrick you`re right in what you say in your blog, the Balos lagoon is so amazing especially its crystalline blue sea or turquoise water that it has a Caribbean feeling on Crete, especially “El Archipelago de los Roques” (Venezuela beach), it looks like Crete in its crystalline waters. Dear captain thank you so much for another wonderful, educative, informative, and beautiful blog about one of the awesome island of Greek, I felt in love with Chania, Crete. You spent a fantastic time there and a deserved relax in so beautiful paradise, have a wonderful Sunday my dear captain.

7. Michele 1 week ago

Loving this Crete blog post ♡ Awesome n amazing ♡ Your so relaxing n sexy look ^^ ♡ In love in Chania n My dream favorite beach Balos ♡ Let’s fly back there together ♡ Couldn’t get enough of Greece ^^ ♡ We really need our private jet there or maybe move to Greece ^^ ♡ so we could hopping all the beautiful small islands like Paros, Naxos, Milos, Curfu, Cephalonia, Sifnos … of course I would love go to the party island Mykonos with you ^^ ♡ n watching sunset in Santorini with you ♡ Oh I couldn’t wait for those days ^^ ♡ Thanks for this lovely Crete trip n all the stunning photos ^^ ♡ I personally love the one of the oldest light house sunset view in Chania and you by the most beautiful Balos beach ♡ Loveee Xo

8. Angus 1 week ago

Awesome post, Patrick. Haven’t visited Crete before, but on my long list of places to visit now. I especially enjoyed the part of the blog on staying fit and healthy while travelling. I, myself, am training to become a commercial airline pilot and so this is something that’s always on my mind. How can I stay fit and healthy while advancing my career. As with everything in life, I think a good balance is required.

9. Meyriniliu 1 week ago

your story is very interesting and can be a reference for people who will go to chania .. thank you for sharing your amazing experience with us .. but unfortunately I have no planed yet to vacation in Europe .. you are very handsome and have many talents .. I wish you more success and luck

10. Claudia Shimura 1 week ago

How beautiful is this island …turquoise waters, charming city, food looks tasty and your suite wow… so I could live there easily. Your childhood friend has made a great choice by going to live in this place whose quality of life should be great, away from the big urban centers. Thank you for sharing with us your stay there. So many places to choose for the holidays but first I need to run to renew my visa :/

11. Alf 1 week ago

Hallo Patrick mit dem Wetter das gerade ist bin ich bereit nach Kreta zu Fliegen
    Ein wirklich guter Blogbeitrag über Kreta, Mein nächstes Ziel ist erst im Frühling
    Wo ich geplant habe, MĂĽnchen zu besuchen
    Schön mit Urlaub Inspiration auf Deinem Blog, mach weiter so
    mit freundlichen grĂĽĂźen
    Aviator Alf

12. Vitamaria PAOLANGELO 1 week ago

it’s very nice how you describe this magical island, full of mermaids and secrets !! I want to tell you my secret !! I think it’s the right place and time !!, of all the cities I’ve seen, the islands of my south Italy are at the top of the charts, pure and pristine waters, lush and wild and virgin lands !!, everything reflects I adore that land, because I am a virgin! yes Patrick you read that right !!!! my body is as pure as that earth !! and when the water wets my body is sweet, delicate does not hurt !! it’s my favorite destination !! because it keeps my secret !! leave your secret in that land that no one will know !!♥️

13. hi 1 day ago

Is the address on your blog valid? I sent you a gift. The express company said that the package had been signed on September 23。But you said you didn’t get it。What’s the matter?Can you find it at the address posted on your blog。How do your other fans send you gifts? Do people know the right address because you know each other? Is the address on your blog fake?