Family, friends and sex – the social life of a pilot

Family, friends and sex – the social life of a pilot
05/08/2018 pilotpatrick
social life of a pilot

Hello my Aviator

lately, I posted a question on my Instagram stories asking you for ideas for my next blog post. Your feedback was impressive, but one topic came up numerous times: the social life of a pilot. In this blog post, I will be answering your questions regarding the social life of a pilot. Does a pilot have friends, family and sex when traveling all the time?

Check out also my new Video on my YouTube channel.

Pilot life vs. social life

You have been wondering how I manage to have a social/private life as a pilot when traveling so much and being absent from home a lot. Especially those of you who strive to become a pilot in the future asked me this question and informed me about their concerns. Everything is still possible but only a little bit more complicated.

Which challenges do pilots face balancing a long lasting relationship vs. work?

First off all a relationship is possible, but definitely not easy. In my case, I am gone from home about 15 days a month. Imagine the other partner has also to travel for work. This requires good planning to have enough time together to keep the relationship running. Another challenge couples could face are the base (the location from where crews start their duty) It happens that you need to relocate for a new cockpit job, but the partner is unable to move with you. Aviation requires flexibility in many ways.

my awesome vacation in Dubai

With friends in Dubai

Mile high club

In case it counts when I saw a couple having fun, then I joined the mile high club already 😉 The story behind it: I was flying as a private first officer when a woman had her head between the lap of a man. There was no door between the cockpit and the cabin in this aircraft only a curtain. I had a look behind to check if the two passengers are okay, and I had to find out that they were having a good time on board.

Sex life and affairs with stewardesses

Yes, pilots do have a sex life like everyone else. Since the beginning of my career, I have been running quite well not to f*** the company. Relationship and affairs within the same company only cause problems. Especially in smaller companies. In the private jet company, I used to fly for I got to know a flight attended how had sex with a captain, then moved on to the head of flight operations and in the end, she was in the relationship with a First Officer. You can imagine that this was not easy for everyone involved.

One reason why there is so much “love” in the air in aviation is that crews are sometimes stuck together for days and that they are forced to work together in a small environment

Nude flying!

I have never heard of this! the only thing we take off is the airplane and the tie when it is too hot outside. haha!

A working day of a private jet versus an airline pilot

Private jet crew

Does it depend on the airline how your social life looks like

The flight operation in the Business Aviation required me to overnight at those locations wherever the last flight of the day took me. Whereas the flights of many low-cost airlines end at their home base, which equals basically to a 9 to 5 job. The current operation once in while allows me to spend a night at home or it happens that a rotation is only of 2-3 days. But I could imagine that an operation, which allows you to sleep at home every night, can be a big advantage once you want to build a family.

As you can see it really depends on the type of operation and airline how many days a month you can spend at home. A minimum of 8 days are granted by the aviation authority. But only 8 days at home this would be not enough for me to have enough time for family, friends and hobbies.

private life as a pilot

8 years in Berlin

Do you miss out on anything in your private life?

I have arranged myself with the absence from home quite well. I have a social life with friends and private activities like everyone else. Unfortunately, I can not attend all events (like birthdays, concerts, parties and family events) but due to good organization skills I get the best of my free time and I never have a big feeling that I miss out on something.

The benefits of a pilot life?

The greatest benefit of a pilot is that I get paid for traveling. When I finish my duty I leave work behind in the airplane and so I can use my off time to the fullest. Then I have minimum 4 days off in a row guaranteed without taking leave.

Watch my video on my YouTube channel to find out what I do during my off days in Berlin.

Please be aware that those are my impressions and feelings. There probably pilots who would tell you something else.

Are you interested in a working day of a private jet pilot? Then check out my blog series a busy day of a private jet pilot.

Could you imagine to have a travel job and which problems do you face in your job?

Safe travels and happy landings!

Your Pilot Patrick

1. Giuseppe 1 year ago

Hi Patrik Have You ever got a boyfriend or a girlfriend?

2. Shiran Abraham 1 year ago

Great blog as always and also like other blog this one is also motivate n inspiration it’s not easy to manage your pilot life n your social life … really glad to know that how you manage to give time to your family and friends it’s not easy you’re a pilot n you are not always to be at home but glad to know that you trying to manage your time as social person… bout relationship yes I agree that’s it’s difficult to give time to your partner … everyone needs to enjoy our private life but it’s hard to manage when you’re not at home most time I can imagine how you manage your pilot life n your social life it’s not easy to anyone because I have my experience also I’m a nurse n working at hospital I have night duty evening duty n sometimes I’m working 16 hours duty sometimes I don’t have time for my patnar and not always I get vacation out of my home night duty I’m doing so sometimes me n my partner having issues because of my job n night duty but I’m managing to give him time also … most say you’re the great blogger n I always love to read your blog n always wating to read your blog. Someone asked me how is your best blogger n I said one n only my favorite pilot Patrick.. I’m so glad to read your pilot n social life n I inspired from you also how to manage your private life n manage with you ur family thanks for sharing

3. Lucia Rita 1 year ago

Nice article :), according to your job Yes u don’t have lots of time for family but this not justify the fact that u will not have a family in the future if u really want it. Well sex is important and having a faithful person on whom u can trust is absolutely important above all because u are away from home for many days. Beeing alone forever according to my personal opinion would be sad, the problem nowadays is generally to find the right person and this is really difficult unfortunately and then focusing a lot only on job. There are a lot of love stories between flight attendants and pilots and what u wrote makes me laugh 😉

4. Adrien 1 year ago

I love you Pilot Patrick ! The perfect dream man !

5. Haresh 1 year ago

Can you become a pilot and also have your bachelors degree?

6. Luca 1 year ago

Hey Patrick!
    I’m luca!
    As always, a very interesting topic!

7. Cherryl Chew 1 year ago

Awesome blog post and it is really very interesting. Actually l had heard of pilot life before this from my friend who is a stewardess. According to her most of them were quite wild and not serious. But it is really surprising that you are totally different from all of them by fully utilising your time in blogging which l really admire of.

Actually my brother used to fly overseas too since he is an engineer for aeroplane engines. We seldom see him since there are better career development in foreign countries. But finally he has a family with 2 kids and staying permanently in Taiwan now.

Patrick, l am sure you will find the right partner of life, have your own family and live happily ever after. I wish you all the best.

8. yang 1 year ago

Thank you for writing this new article,but this illustration is easy to misunderstand,there are also a captain ,a a flight attended,a First Officer in this picture.
    The story you wrote is more colorful than I guess,from some of your things, i have guessed what made you become the present.
    Hope i can spare some time to write more,write something sincere,if you have a chance to read my sincere advice in the future,please don’t abandon it.☺

9. Jola 1 year ago

Hi there!
    It’s nice to “meet you” on your blog. Nice articles and ideas to follow 🙂
    Did you ever guess that being famous could have some disadventages? For example, have you ever check who is using your photos in the web sites? Last week I came across the guy who used your photos to pick up the girls… did you ever expected such situations? I’m wonder your opinion about it.
    Wish you luck and only happy landing!

10. KARIME 1 year ago

Wow that’s my favorite job, my job is to do several parts of the world, know other languages ​​and cultures, and learn from others as your case to help you with your travels and opinions. Since I started to follow me you seemed very handsome there in heaven hahaha. So write me down on your airline to follow you and see your videos more closely. As a woman, I would like to know if you prefer guys or girls? … Your lifestyle is great and although with many sacrifices I imagine.you have. .Safe travels and happy landings! Pilot Patrick

pilotpatrick 1 year ago

Hello Karime, thanks for your nice comment and it is really great that you are following me. I prefer all my awesome Aviators, girls and boys! Happy landings Patrick

11. Camille gr 12 months ago

I would love to fly with you once!! I’m travelling a lot but Never see you on my planes 🙁 come To France, Nice to see me! I love to see other country !! Bye

12. Darren 11 months ago

Hi Patrick. How would I meet you in person?

13. Miah 10 months ago

Wow! You are amazing captain that I follow . Keep on inspiring others .Bless you Pilot Patrick.

14. Doreen 10 months ago

You’re such an awesome pilot ‍✈️ I like your way of living god you and safe landing

15. Nikita 4 weeks ago

Hello Patrick,
    there is a fake account on Facebook where This person is using ur pictures to chat Wiz me and want my personal bank details…
    Since a one and weeks, this person is chatting with Me sending me u pictures
    Please do check it …
    Please do Contact Me if needed… i can give more details
    Best regards
    Nikita

16. Deepa 3 weeks ago

Fantastic article. Really pilot life is difficult and hard. But thanks you showed us your happy face and make us happy. First you are away from house more difficult but now that’s your life. You and your family can bare it. I love your Instagram and follow you also you tube. All you make lovely video and pictures. Love it. Anyway have a blessed life happy landing and safe travels

17. 84 0336377256 3 weeks ago

I miss you so much

18. Constance McCall-Baxley 3 weeks ago

Hi I’d like to ask you a question about a male crew member from Germany. Would you have time to help me?