How I became a pilot I

How I became a pilot I
04/09/2016 pilotpatrick
become a pilot

In my last blog post I told you “why I fly” now I want to tell you how I finally became a pilot. I haven been asked this question many times on Instagram and I am happy to give you a more detailed answer.
In general there is not THE way to become a pilot. Many different ways all lead to the same goal sitting on the right side of a cockpit. I will tell you mine.

How I became a pilot

I did not have any flying experiences before I applied to be a flight student. So as we say in aviation I still was a “pedestrian” before I started my training. Like almost all Germans I applied at Lufthansa to become an airline pilot. This was in 2006 at the age of 18. Back then they still had a demand of pilots but nevertheless I did not suceed to pass their first assessment in Hamburg at DLR. I studied so hard to pass one of the hardest tests but all the effort was not worth it. Those bad news did not stop me from my dream to fly. Moreover it reinforced my willingness to show the stupid assestemnt center that I can also fly without them.

Flight school

Through a friend I heard about this flight school in Frankfurt which is subsidiary of Lufthansa Flight Training. Attending an information day I found out that they also offer an ab initio training like Lufthansa only on different locations (ab initio= no flight experiences) The downside was that I had to finance my traing myself and I did not have a job guarantee at the end. Where as the Lufthansa pays for your training in advance and you will pay off with your loan. The costs for my training were over 70.000€!

Before I applied to be a flight student at Intercockpit, today also called Pilot Training Network, I interviewed people who were students at the moment. I wanted to get an insight feedback  making sure that it is the right facility to do my training.

To become a flight student for an ATPL course, I again had to pass tests in Maths, Physics and English. Nothing really special at this stage. After being accepted by the training facility I already started the course with the number E308 in April 2008 with the age of 19.

In the next part of “How I became a pilot part II” I will write about my first theory phase and my first flight as pilot student.

1. Chris 1 year ago

How did you finally finance your course ?

pilotpatrick 1 year ago

This will be part of the nex blog post. Luckily my parents paid for it.

• Jamal 9 months ago

I hope to be a pilot just like you I want to go to aerosim flight Academy for college when I become eighteen or less (in eight years or less I’m ten)

2. alifewithtrials 1 year ago

It is important to never give up and follow your dreams, glad to see that you never did 🙂

3. Saul Jordan 1 year ago

Awesome Blog! Been nagging you for ages on instagram haha. Its very good. Well done!

4. zakaria 1 year ago

thank you very much, most of the pilots i tend to ask them questions but all they do is ignore me but you replied man. I respect that brother.

pilotpatrick 1 year ago

You are very welcome. I created this blog for you because want to give something in return for your great support. If you have further questions comment on instagram. I will try to answer there or build a new blog post around it!

• zakaria 1 year ago

i’ll do

5. Author
    pilotpatrick 1 year ago

Hello Lee. It makes me really reading this. I want to share my experiences about my career and want to give advices. Great to hear that I can inspire! All the best. If you have questions comment on my last poston instagram.

6. Arthur Sena Lima 1 year ago

A motivative story. I am a Brazilian guy living in Germany and trying to become a Flight attendant. Hopefully, I will be flying through this vast blue sky too.

pilotpatrick 1 year ago

All the best for your career, Arthur! Work hard and you will succeed! Hopefully soon happy landings!

7. Author
    pilotpatrick 1 year ago

The test is really hard and has no validity if you will become a good pilot or a good air traffic controller! Please become a spanish controller and teach them how it works in the sky 😉

8. Eze Camcy 11 months ago

You are such an inspiration Patrick. Your blog is very insightful. Thank you for sharing these knowledge and information. From my understanding, you started your journey to become a pilot at the age of 19. Some people has dream to become a pilot at a later stage in life. Is there any restriction in terms of age and height in order to have a career in this industry?

9. Nora Mezowra 8 months ago

A big inspiration and i love the burning passion of yours Captain Patric!

10. Jen 8 months ago

I love your possing on your pic there..so lovable

11. George 8 months ago

Hello.
    I want to ask you a question and I hope you can give me the right answer or the right decision.
    When someone finishes his/her ATPL integrated course in EU with 200 or 2150 total flight hours. How will gets a job and work for an airline ?
    Even though we know that most airlines in EU require at least 500-1000 or 1500 total flight hours.
    Thank you.

Hello George! Thanks for your question. Of course it is possible to get a job with only 200 flight hours. My case proofs this! Unfortunately most airlines require more flight hours to fly for them. Many low cost airlines hire pilots who come right from the flight school. Happy landings. Patrick

• George 8 months ago

Thanks for your answer.
        Please can you suggest me some low cost airlines which i can apply for a job after finishing my training here in EU.
        Thanks

Pingbacks

1. […]  Stay tuned for my upcoming blog: how I became a pilot! […]

2. […] my first part of the blogpost “How I became a pilot” I told you about my way to become a flight student at Intercockpit Pilot Training […]

3. […] tuned for my upcoming blog: how I became a pilot! Follow me: Instagram: @pilotpatric Facebook: @pilotpatrick Snapchat: pilot_patrick Twitter: […]

4. […] to my series “How I became a pilot” I want to give you 10 personal advices when you strive to become a commercial […]

5. […] on board of my series of “How I became a pilot“. In part three I will talk about the flight training with Pilot Training Network in Zadar […]

6. […] Part I: How I became a flight student at Intercockpit (Pilot Training Network) […]

7. […] blog posts of how I became a pilot have become to one of your favorite ones. So far I have published four parts in this series and yet […]