How to relax in minutes with your breathing

How to relax in minutes with your breathing
22/09/2019 pilotpatrick
how to relax with your breathing

It was one of you my Aviator, who sugested me this special technique to relax easily. You probably know the difficulty to take a little time out during the day. I like to go for a short nap to recharge my batteries, but most of time I find it hard to get some rest and to fall asleep quickly. The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as “relaxing breath,” helps me to reduce anxiety and clears my mind to fall asleep quicker.

What is the 4-7-8 breathing technique?

The 4-7-8 breathing technique involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds. The scientific reasearch on this method is limited, but there is enough evidence (including me) that this type of deep, rhythmic breathing is relaxing and may help ease people into sleep. Sometimes I get to sleeep within in minutes. In this article I will show you how to relax with your breathing.

Check out my YouTube channel PilotPatrick for more exciting videos about my trips around the world!

What are the benefits?

Apart from reducing anxiety and falling asleep, the 4-7-8 breathing technique has other benefits. Dr. Andrew Weil teaches this breathing technique, which he belives can help with the following:

• reducing anxiety
  • helping a person get to sleep
  • managing cravings
  • controlling or reducing anger responses

how to relax with your breathing

How to do it

How to relax with your breathing

1. Get into a comfortable sitting position or laying position
  2. Place the tip of the tongue on the tissue right behind the top front teeth
  3. Empty the lungs of air
  4. Breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 second
  5. Hold the breath for a count of 7 second
  6. Exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a “whoosh” sound, for 8 seconds
  7. repeat the cycle up to 4 times

Dr. Weil recommends using the technique at least twice a day to start seeing the benefits sooner. In the beginning you should avoid doing more than four breath cycles in a row until you have more practice. The longer and more frequently you use the technique, the more effective it becomes.

Is there an App?

Of course. There is an App for everythinh. For example, Breathe is a free app for Apple products, which helps you to practice the 4-7-8 breathing technique You can also set reminders to use it regularly during the day.

I have been you using this breahting method regulary for a couple of months. Especially during and after stressfull days it helps me to fight anxiety and to relax. I hope you enjoyed my tip how to relax with you breathing.  Give it a try yourself and profit form the benefits.

What kind of technique do you use to relax. Let me knwo and comment below!

Safe travels and happy landings

Your PilotPatrick

1. Thaphattaranan Thangboon 2 months ago

I ask you for your good technique. The captain is always lovely.
    My technique is relaxed with you.
    But my is 4-8-8
    #Thaphattaranan

2. Kristel 2 months ago

This is great! The 4-7-8 breathing technics helps alot to rebuilt our mind set. I think everyone should learn the breathing techniques because its really good in our body. I can also suggest doing yoga, if you really need a peaceful mind and body this exercise helps you to empower and taking away your stressed mind.

3. Emmy Puspasari Indonesia 2 months ago

I will try this tips.. 4-7-8 breathing, so i may sleep relax at night and fresh when wake up at morning…

4. Shiran Abraham 2 months ago

I always love to read your blog it’s game so much inspiration n I’m getting knowledge bout new this . Very interesting n useful for everything. Never tried 4-7-8 breathing technique will definitely try it . Everyone should try this . For me it’s most important … I’m working 12 hours 2 times in a week n this technique definitely
    Will help me relaxed . Very useful technique . Btw only captain gorgeous stories for me to relaxed myself . Most say captain gorgeous technique

5. Grace .Twt _SIN 2 months ago

Very interesting topic. I’ve never really learn how to inhale and exhale my breadth. I bought an Apple Watch recently and they have these built in apps too. I will use it often. To keep me clam and relax. You might consider getting Apple Watch too!
    Thanks so much dearest PP.

Haben Sie einen guten Tag

6. mimosa0120 2 months ago

Hi Price, This is a breathing technique I have never heard of before. I am the type who is hard to sleep so I will try this tip of yours. It will definitely be helpful to me. My method of relaxation daily is to meditate for 20-30 minutes before sleep. help me reduce stress, fatigue, control emotions, get peace of mind. Thank you for sharing this 4,7,8 breathing method. I can do it easily and not take much time. have a nice weeken, Prince.

• Lan 2 months ago

You should be careful because there are some people copy your photos and make fake nicks on Zalo and Facebook. I don’t know why they do it, maybe they want to cheat someone.

7. Lauren 2 months ago

❤️. I have tried alternate nostril breathing.

8. Michele 2 months ago

Breathing with you ^^ ♡ Watching your funny faces like ur fishy face ^^ lol ♡ Music helps me to sleep ^^ ♡ So sing me to sleep ^^ ♡ Thanks for ur nice tips ^^ ♡

9. Pam will 2 months ago

I have found that while you do this that you visualize your body relaxing. Start at your toes and feel them disappear to relaxation. Then come up your body relaxing the muscles and feeling them relax and get lighter. Imagine your body floating and feeling absent as you breathe. Try this with the breathing technique and if you need quiet music, try light airy calming ones that ease your mind. IT WORKS! GREAT IMAGERY AND CALMNESS WORKS.

10. Mrs.Net0830 2 months ago

Hi My Captain, thank you for your tips for relation. I just listen to music so I can be relax. More tips from you. Take care as always❤️

11. Maite Vargas 2 months ago

Hello!! my dear and respect captain Patrick, I really like to read your wonderful and awesome blogs because they are so informative, educational, instructive and so important for the different points that you write about your personal experiences and you share them with your aviators, it is so cute and very kind of you my love. So, I read your new blog and let me tell you that I will try and to learn these tips, the 4-7-8 breathing technique that I really know it will be so good for my body, especially my back muscles and my mind the benefits that these techniques contribute to the health of our body. So, my everyday is all a challenge, the techniques that I use to relax before going to sleep are: To take a warm bath, no coffee at night and some back massages to relieve pain and tension. Thank you so much for sharing this useful information and for teaching to us these amazing breathing techniques, Congratulations!!! “Felicitaciones! And go ahead my favorite captain.

12. Maria 2 months ago

Wow Patrick thank you so much for this. I do CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) to help with my anxiety and panic attacks and I have judge issues regarding sleep. I have done breathing exercises in the past but haven’t been effective. I will give this a go and see if it can assist me like it has helped you. It’s always great to learn new things. I always enjoy reading ur blogs.

13. Nashim Ali 2 months ago

Mine is I take a cold bath since cold water helps to calm nerves down, lay down on my back place my hands on my belly and start to reduce the rate of my breathing by 2, and try to breath as calmlly and slowly as much as I can as I listen to calm music and in less than ten minutes am falling asleep, but I guess I will try your technique and thanks for sharing.

14. Jisha 2 months ago

Really happy to see that u r interested in meditation techniques…I am also interested in various meditation methods and applying those things in daily life too. Every day we are doing 10 minutes breathing exercises before going to bed ….Yoga and meditation is really good for health…’Surya Namaskaram'(sun salutation), a form of yoga, is really good for body ….

Your posts and videos are really Interesting and very informative too…Thank you.

15. Vita 2 months ago

Non so dove mi porterà il mio volo!!, Una cosa è certa.. devo fare i conti con la realtà!! L’ ansia vince sempre… quando chiudo gli occhi la sento … voglio vincere …sentire il peso della vita!!, Mi affoga l’anima!!… Al ritorno sarà la mia nuova tecnica…

16. His Illustriousness, Le Comte de Sayd 2 months ago

I am surprised Donatella hasn’t spotted you yet in Versace underwear and bathroom robes… I am sure you make a eye watering model.

17. Nashim Ali 2 months ago

Good evening captain, I would like to take and use this opportunity to apologise for my reckless behaviour as I have been unknowingly sending comments to your inbox though it’s not acceptable, well I have been watching most of your stories on insta and made an effort to write comments but instead they would go to your inbox which I just realised today and as for the vids I was only trying to share with close friends since my phone is kind of it some times won’t do as I expect it to so that’s why. I would really appreciate it if you find it your heart and overlook my faults, thanks for always keeping smiles on our faces and for your kind, funny, humourous and inspiring shares. Ahhh almost forgot, hey Capt you look ” drop” I just couldn’t leave that a side have an awesome week Capt.

18. @ 3 weeks ago

@

19. Frida 3 weeks ago

I’ve tried some similar and it really works for me. Not your version but 3-3-3. I also like to have dark curtains so I can block the light from outside if I have to sleep during daytime or early evening.