In my last blog post “My type rating“, I gave you an insight view of my training at Lufthansa Aviation Training. The last three weeks in the simulator to acquire the certification to fly the A300 have been quite demanding. Therefore I did not have a lot of time to relax.
Next week I will have my final skill test flight in the simulator and this is why I have the weekend off. The Waldorf Astoria Berlin invited me to spend a weekend at their beautiful hotel in Berlin to relax a little bit from the busy weeks and to tank up some energy before my check flight. My job as a pilot requires me to stay at many different hotels around the world, but I have not stayed at a hotel in my hometown Berlin yet. I was really excited to spend a weekend at the Waldorf Astoria hotel since it really sticks out with its location and the architecture next to 20 other five star hotels in Berlin.
Read about my stay at the Waldorf Astoria and find out why I did not want to leave again. I hope my following hotel review helps you when choosing the right hotel for your next stay in Berlin or to find a place to escape the hectic city.
In 2013 the Waldorf Astoria opened its doors for hotel guests. The hotel is situated in the famous building “Zoofenster” and is easy to recognize since it is a 32 stories-high skyscraper. Being one of the tallest buildings in Berlin it gives the hotel guests, including me a spectacular view over Berlin. It is located right in the center of West Berlin and one foot step away from tourist attractions, shopping locations and leisure activities.
Check in at Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Posted by PilotPatrick on Samstag, 28. Januar 2017
The room was amazing. I was lucky to reside in a TOWER SUITE. The luxurious suite was at the 28th level and its panoramic windows gave me a fantastic view over Berlin. I could unwind in a spacious and very comfortable room. The design is elegant and modern at the same time. A separate sleeping room with a private balcony was located in the rear of the suite. Every room granted you a different view of the city. The TV system was ideal for my needs to stream music and videos from my mobile phone and laptop.
Features of the tower suite
- upper level (22-29) separate elevators for the tower suites
- separate living area with a dining table and mini bar
- fully equipped small kitchen with a private Nespresso coffee machine
- two 40-inch TVs with Apple TV technology
- luxurious marble bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower
- complimentary Wifi and so much more…
Monthly live online talk! Ask me questions about aviation, traveling and healthy lifestyle Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Posted by PilotPatrick on Sonntag, 29. Januar 2017
I enjoyed a short time-out from the vibrant Berlin outside in the Spa. The 1000 square meter spa features a cloud shaped pool, saunas and very cozy therapy rooms. I really liked the private bathroom with shower and changing facility. The gym is fully equipped and big windows provide you with natural light during your workout. On Saturday I took a break from the gym since I did exhausting personal training with Timo on Friday.
Premium swim shorts by XARIFA, which are entirely made in Italy. I am wearing the short length version in size medium. Use the code ‘pilotpatric’ to save 15% on your new swim shorts by XARIFA.
Features of the spa
- therapy rooms
- pool and hot tub
- sauna and steam room
- fitness room with daylight
- complimentary water and fruits#
The spa area is free of charge for hotel guest. With a day pass, it is possible to you use the luxurious spa facilities as well. Mention PILOTPATRIC when booking a treatment and you will get a free glass of champagne.
I am really conscious when it comes to my diet. In my blog post “I am a foodie pilot” I already wrote about my healthy eating habits. Nowadays I expect that hotels adopt to the healthy food trend or at least offer meal options in case you have a special diet. The selection of food of breakfast buffet was excellent. The vegetarian omelet and the smoked salmon were really tasty. For dinner, I went to the ROCA Restaurant on the ground floor. The atmosphere was relaxing. I suggest having a selection of their tasty salads as a starter.
What do around?
- Kurfürstendamm a big street with hundreds of retail stores ranching up to luxurious boutiques
- Bikini Berlin is a concept mall with interesting pop-up stores right around the hotel.
- KADEWE (Department Store of the West) is the second biggest department store of Europe, visit the impressing food court on the upper level
- The huge park “Tiergarten” is right around the corner, at the Cafe am Neuen See you can rent small paddle boats to drive around on a small lake
- Siegessäule (Victoria Column) at the big roundabout (Großer Stern) Some hundreds of steps take you up on top giving you an amazing view over Berlin.
- The historic cinema “Zoopalast” is directly opposite of the hotel. Book a comfortable LOGE seat which grants you access to the lounge for a free drink before the movie
Resume of my stay at the Waldorf Astoria Berlin
From check in and check out I felt welcome every minute of my stay. Besides an amazing suite and luxurious facilities, the friendly staff made it a memorable stay.
I hope my following hotel review helps you to choose the right hotel for your next stay in Berlin or to find a place to escape the hectic city. My tip: Book a room on one of the upper levels of the hotel. I just loved to sit at the window observing Berlin from the top.
Your Pilot Patrick