Revealing my new aircraft type

Revealing my new aircraft type
14/01/2017 pilotpatrick
revealing my new aircraft type

HAPPY NEW YEAR MY AVIATORS!

Welcome on board of a new year full of new challenges, adventures and hopefully many happy landings. I am really sorry, that I have not published a blog post for a while. But I have a really good excuse for that. As I mentioned in my previous post “Christmas greetings with big changes” I started 2017 with a new aircraft type and a new employer. This has been keeping me busy for the last couple of weeks. In this blog post, I will reveal my new aircraft type I will be flying in the near future.

Hard decision

You got to know me as a first officer for private jets. In 2010 I started flying for a german VIP charter company on the Cessna Citation XLS +. I became a big fan of the exclusive operation since the everyday work was always very diverse. During the last six years, I met really interesting and famous people and got to stay in many different cities throughout Europe, Russia and North Africa. The working atmosphere on board was great and it sometimes felt like being on tour with friends.

Cessna Citation XLS in MLA, Pilot Patrick, pilotpatric, how to become a pilot

With the Citation Business Jet on Malta

After six years of flying a small jet, it was time for a new occupational career. In the first place, it meant for me to fly a bigger aircraft type. In the end of 2016, I received a job offer by a big german air carrier to become a first officer on their A300-600 fleet. At the same time, my former employer wanted me to upgrade on the Legacy 650 aircraft. At this point, I had to decide for one or the other. This was a really hard decision for me. One the one hand I could stay in the private operation, flying a big business jet around the world and on the other hand, I got the one and only chance to fly the legendary A300. (read more about this type of aircraft below)

In the end, I decided for a new employer with a very good reputation and the bigger aircraft. Many pilots are a big fan of the A300 because the level of automation is less than on other modern jet aircraft. Flying this jet takes me back to the roots of aviation and the flight hours on this type of aircraft will allow me to operate on any other aircraft in the future. As much as I love the General Aviation, I decided to move on to accept a new occupational challenge with a totally different operation. But I do not spurn that I might return back to the business jet operation as a Captain on a private jet.

simulator, lufthansa, lufthansa Aviation training, pilot patrick, pilotpatric, Airbus, cae, full flight sim, blogger, streetstyle, outfit, fashion, diesel black gold

Welcome to my new office! Currently in Simulator training at Lufthansa Aviation Training

Revealing my new aircraft

The A300 is a twin jet airliner and is the first aircraft ever manufactured by Airbus. Development of the A300 began during the 1960s as a collaboration of different European nations. Its first flight was already on the 28th of October 1972 and was at that time the first twin wide-body aircraft of the world. (two aisles in the cabin) It typically seats around 266 passengers with a maximum take-off weight of 170,5 tons. This is 17x the takeoff weight of the Citation Jet I used to fly.

The production ceased in 2007 with 561 aircraft built. Another world first of the A300 is the use of composite material to reduce overall weight and improve cost-effectiveness. When it entered service in 1974, the A300 was a very advanced plane. Its state of the art technology influenced later airliner designs. As far as I can tell from the simulator the handling capabilities are excellent for such a big aircraft. I am fascinated by the advanced  I am already looking forward to flying this oldtimer, which sure is already a legend in aviation.

A300-600, lufthansa, approach, wide-body, aircraft, airbus

My new aircraft type: A 300-600 copyright: widebodyaircraft.nl

Flight training

In December I started with ground courses and online based training for my new employer. I studied hard to pass the technical skill test last week. All efforts paid out because I passed the exam with 94%. That qualified me to continue with the practical flight training. All complex aircraft require so-called type rating to become familiar with the systems and how to operate the aircraft according to the books.

I currently get trained at Lufthansa Aviation Training in Berlin in a full flight simulator. The type rating started one week ago and will last until the first of February. Yesterday I finished session number four. It is quite demanding, but also a lot of fun. I am totally in love with the new “old school” cockpit and I am really looking forward to flying the real aircraft soon.

simulator, lufthansa, lufthansa Aviation training, pilot patrick, pilotpatric, Airbus, cae, full flight sim, outfit, blogger, streetstyle

Flight Simulator at Lufthansa Aviation Training in Berlin

A300 cockpit of the full flight simulator

I am looking forward to sharing my future adventures with the Airbus A300 and to write about my first impressions. It will be really interesting to compare both operations to find out their advantages and disadvantages.

I know you have been waiting for the next part my series “how I became a pilot”, but I am really busy acquiring my new type rating. Please stay tuned!

Are you an Airbus or Boeing fan?

1. Rania 10 months ago

hey captain 🙂 very interesting…. In fact I love ” concorde aircraft”.. thanks for sharing your adventures with us ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Hello Rania. Thanks for your comment. Have a nice weekend

2. Utz Krohnfuß 10 months ago

Herzlichen Dank für so viel Information! Deine Begeisterung für die Fliegerei ist ungebrochen. Allzeit guten Flug Patrick und immer eine gute Landung oder wie es auch heißen mag. Weißt schon was ich meine 😉 Liebe Grüße und noch ein schönes Wochenende! Utz

Vielen lieben Dank Utz! Natürlich. Happy landings und ein schönes Wochenende

3. Brian 10 months ago

Hi Patrick,

Congratulations. Sounds exciting!

A300 cargo? Are you going to miss transporting passengers?

I love the A300. Use to fly them (as a passenger) with AA. What’s your favorite part of the A300?

Best,

Brian

Hey Brian! Thanks fir your comment. We will see if I will miss it. I will let you know 😉 I like the old school cockpit and its size Greetings

4. Daniswifts 10 months ago

Best of the lucks with your new decision! Cool blog, And of course, Airbus forever

5. Pat 10 months ago

Concorde (all time) Boeing 747 (looks), then 777 (love the landing, graceful smooth on its 6 wheels) and also love the way 757 looks like a real bird. No offense to airbus, I’m just judging from the outside style.

Hello Pat! Concorde is awesome! No worries. I like Boeing as well! 😉

6. Jeannine 10 months ago

I hope you’ll have as much fun as on your previous job!

Hello Jeannine! Thanks. I think I will 🙂

7. Ken 10 months ago

Hallo Patrick wie gets?
    Your new aircraft totally fool me I guess Airbus changed to the joystick after the production of the A300? I didn’t even know LA was still using them for passengers. My airline got rid of ours a little while ago. I am a bit of a airplane geek but need to get updated with the newer aircraft as I am losing my touch. I was lucky to fly the first commercial 748 with LA a few years ago but quite honestly I prefer the A380 add it takes off faster and it’s much quieter. On the Boeing side I do like the 773 and 757. Good luck with the new position change its hard but necessary sometimes and if it doesn’t work at least you can keep that experience in your pocket. I did that myself not too long ago when I moved to NY. Ok, well see you in Instagram.

Hello Ken, thanks for your email. Airbus produced 561 of the A300. Currently there are 260 still in operation. I will not be working for Lufthansa, but I am training with them. Lucky you. I have not been on the A380 and B748. Many greetings to NY. I hope I can visit soon again! happy landings

8. Author

Hello Kabir, I am surprised as well. I am looking forward to flying the real bird soon. :-))

9. Noah wykes 10 months ago

Hey there Patric,
    I was wondering what sort of topics and knowledge is tested in the technical skills exam? And and if it differs between airlines.
    I am definitely an airbus person with the A350 being one of my favourite aircrafts. Which aircrafts do you hope to fly in the future? Thanks for the inspiration! Noah

Hello Noah! Thanks for your comments. The technical skill test consisted of questions about all systems of the aircraft. I did a lot of self study with a CBT Computer based training! The A350 is great airplane. I would love to fly the A380 someday but also like the Gulfstream 650 a lot. Happy landings

10. Tommy 10 months ago

Hi Pilot!
    I am following you in instagram since September 2016.
    I really like your job and my dream is piloting airplanes in the future.
    Which company will you fligh for ?
    Do you like the a300 or you prefer a new model ?

Hey Tommy, thanks for your comment. So far I like the A300. It is a great oldtimer and I am really happy to have the chance to fly the first Airbus ever. I also like the new A350. Happy landings!

11. Domas 10 months ago

Hi, It’s nice to hear that you have changes in your life. Congratulations! How long does it take to learn and prepare for new plane model? Is it hard to find new employee? Because someone says, that there aren’t a lot of vacancy jobs? 🙂

Hello Domas, thanks for your comment. In total it takes around 2 months to train on the A300. I have 14 missions in the simulator. I will publish a blog post soon about my training. That’s true there are not many vacancies but I am really happy that I managed to pass the assessment to get one of the most popular jobs in Germany. Many greetings!

12. Kevin 10 months ago

Hallo Patrick, zunächst alles Gute für den neuen Job. Ich war etwas verwundert über die Steuerhörner im A300 – war es nicht Strategie von Airbus, auf den Joystick umzustellen und auch so zu ermöglichen schnell auf andere Muster umzuschulen? Warum wird jetzt ein Modell von Airbus mit Steuerhörnern gebaut und der Rest mit Joystick? VLG, Kevin

Hallo Kevin! vielen Dank für dein Kommentar. Die A300 wird seit 2007 nicht mehr gebaut. Über 260 Flugzeuge sind noch in Betrieb und deshalb wird auch auf diesem Flugzeug geschult. Nach der A300/310 hat Airbus auf den Sidestick umgestellt. Happy landings Patrick

13. Christoph 10 months ago

Könnte es sein, dass es sich um eine überwiegend ***** Airline mit Hub ****** von Berlin handelt?
    Bin sehr gespannt auf die neuen Destinationen und Umläufe.
    Würde gerne mal einen solchen Flugplan sehen.
    Many happy landings und viel Erfolg

Hey Christoph,

leider musste ich dein Kommentar etwas unkenntlich machen 😉 Da ich meinen Arbeitgeber nicht offiziell repräsentiere möchte ich keine Rückschlüsse auf ihn.

Aber ja du hast recht! Einen unkenntlichen Dienstplan kann ich sicherlich Mal in einem der folgenden Beiträge zeigen.

Liebe Grüße

14. Author

Hey Mae Nartea,

I am fine and you? Training is a lot of fun. Since I do not officially represent my employer, I do not want to give any information about this. Lufthansa is only responsible for the training. I am not working for them.

Happy landings Patrick!

• Mae Gratol 10 months ago

Hi Pat!

I’m so glad to hear from you. I read your response, that was safe and excellent answer! Well, I will just wait until you write a new blog about your journey flying a real A300, if it is a cargo type or a passenger airline. I’m not quite sure if it would be a passenger airline, as far as I remember and as far as I know, you’ve mention one time that it’s a commercial airline. Anyway, keep inspiring many aviators! Few more days, you’ll complete the sim training! Clear skies and happy landings!✈️

♉️Mae Gratol

15. ily 10 months ago

A380 for me hehe… good luck! ^_^ /

16. Mehran Shabir 3 weeks ago

hey patrik today I am reading ur all blogs I have reached her and wish me all the best

Pingbacks

1. […] my last blog post, I revealed my new aircraft type I will be flying in the near future. Currently, I am getting trained on a flight simulator of […]