Should you become a pilot and is it a good time for it?

Should you become a pilot and is it a good time for it?
31/03/2019 pilotpatrick
should you become a pilot

Dear Aviator,

first of all thanks for following my request to send me your questions. It was difficult to make an appropriate selection out of thousands of questions for my FAQ video on YouTube. One question, in particular, was asked several times: Should I become a pilot and is it a good time for it? I thought I give you a more extensive answer to help you in the process of finding the right decision for your future. Be prepared for unadorned truth.

The dream of flying is as old as mankind itself. But the possibility for everyone on earth to fly like an eagle through the skies is only a few decades old. Aviation, as we know it from today, is still in its initial phase when considering that the desire to fly freely has always excited. Thanks to great legends and pioneers who made aviation to what it is today. We can feel quite fortunate that live in a time, in which the job as a pilot exists.

should you become a pilot

The aviation is a moving, but also a really volatile industry with lots of ups and downs. As quick as aviation develops and changes over the years, the pilot job as altered as well. We still fly aircraft, but nowadays with a high level of automation, under economic pressure, an increasing number of regulations and a sky which does not seem so free anymore. I would not say that the job lost its glamor over the years, but it is a different glamor and not all jobs have it.

Would I become a pilot again?

Yes! Yes and Yes. In a recent Instagram post, I stated that you should choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life. For me, it is still the best job in the world and it does not feel like work for me (most of the time). Of course, the job brings long also negative aspects. It can be indeed tough, unglamorous and hard work. But in the end, it counts that all negative aspects fade behind all the positive sides of the job. More about the pros and cons here.

In case you are interested to get more questions about aviation, travel, and lifestyle watch my latest video “FAQ” on YouTube. Do not miss any of my future videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel PilotPatrick

What would I have done differently?

I definitely chose the harder way to become a pilot. The entire flight training (about 70,000€) was self-funded and it did not have any guarantee after finishing my training to get a position in the cockpit. This was quite risky because you never know how the demand for pilots will look like when you complete your training. Within two years of training, it can happen a lot in the aviation industry. In my case, I was lucky to start flying as a First Officer on a private jet, but I know about other graduates who did not find a job right away. If I were you I would try to get into a cadet program of an airline, so you do not put yourself into financial risk.

Have a plan B

I would advise that you go to college to further your education and possibly gain a degree. This would enable you to seek further employment, even in the airline industry. Especially in aviation, a plan B is essential since you depend on your license.

Why you should NOT become a pilot?

Good salary, layovers, free flights, job security. Those are probably aspects why you would like to become a pilot. But the opposite applies. As I mentioned before the pilot job has changed and the conditions in the airline industry have deteriorated tremendously. In the competition with low-cost airlines, major carriers had to reduce costs in all departments including the salary of aircrews. But the requirements and the complexity of the job has not decreased.

The days that you spend one week of a layover in the Caribbean are also over. In case you have a layover than it is the minimum time required at the destination before your next flights. Especially low coast airlines always return to the home base to save money. For me, the pilot job is linked to traveling and layovers. That is why I could not imagine sleeping every night at home. Even though I work in the aviation industry I do not have the privilege or benefit to fly discounted or even for free. As the high number of bankruptcies of airlines in the European market has shown, job security is not given

how to become a captain

Is it a good time to become a pilot?

How can I say it is still a dream job after listing all the negative aspects, which make this job less appealing. I did not want to discourage you, but rather tell you the truth about the current situation. Fact is that it more and more depends on the airline you are flying for! The working conditions vary tremendously. There are still fantastic cockpit positions out there, may it be with a business jet company or a big airline. The demand for pilots is extremely high at the moment. According to Boeing, there is a requirement of 790,000 pilots in the next 20 years. In case we are not facing a crisis in the world of aviation the shortage of pilots will grow. The reason for this shortage is the job has become less appealing to new candidates. But a shortage is also a good sign because then the aviation industry has to act and airlines have to improve their working conditions to attract new pilots. It is utterly important to stop the ideational and material depreciation of the pilot job because this can in return infringe flight safety.

Outlook

International Air Transport Association (IATA) estimates that the air traffic will have doubled with the next years. The long term trend of the demand for aircrews exists. We as passengers, customers, and staff of the aviation industry have the power to change and shape it for the future.

good time to become a pilot

Become a pilot if you have the passion and fascination for aviation. It is important to know about the negative as well as the positives when considering being a pilot. Downsides exist in every branch. But with one huge difference, you become part of a world full of energy and enthusiasm which is hard to find in any other jobs.

Subscribe to my WhatsApp newsletter, if you want to receive a message from me when I posted a new blog, video or event!

3 easy steps to subscribe:

• Add me as contact: +49 152 52651846
  • Open your Whatsapp
  • Send me the code “Takeoff”

Safe travels and happy landings!

Your PilotPatrick

1. Rhea Cristle Goveas 7 months ago

I love science and that’s the reason I’m doing my PhD. The other thing I love apart from my work is travel! Hope I meet you soon ☺️

2. Shiran Abraham 7 months ago

Your weekly Sunday blog I always waiting to read and as always your blogs always inspiring. So informative blog for those who wants to become a pilot n still thinking maybe it’s already late . So proud of you gorgeous… you always inspired us through of your blog.. vlog n post. This one is the best inspection for all of us who have different occupation n want to be a pilot as well . Proud to be your crazy Aviator.

3. Claudia Shimura 7 months ago

Nothing better to hear from you this perfect explanation about the aviation’s. Very good insights for them who wants to become a pilot. As every job there are ups and downs to be considered.

4. Emmy Puspasari 7 months ago

Its so Interesting and Informative each time i read your blog! you are helping young person who maybe want to be a pilot in the future through your blog and Instagram. They may learn and see your experinces as pilot and your life become inspiration and be blessings for all people here , you are the best!!
    I love to learn about plane and airport because i love traveling alot my dear…
    Thanks for blog, IG and Facebook!

5. Liliani setiawati 7 months ago

Wowwwww..i love this article so much, PP. You explain thoroughly to us the pro, cons, and your own opinion of being a pilot. Other than that, you also always inspire all of us to follow our dreams. Love it. I also dont mind to work longer hours now cos this is my dream job. Thank you, PP

6. LynnHwe 7 months ago

gute nacht aus Indonesien PP..thank you for your informative blog as always..really make us know everything about Pilot Life, and we never to lose for read this blog.. Thank you dear PP

7. Sharon 7 months ago

Good and comprehensive sharing and also an eye opener as a guide for those who seriously would like to be a pilot:). Keep up the good good work, Pilot Patrick

8. ABHIJIT DAS 7 months ago

Nice article Captain. This is a perfect guidelines for any one who want to be a Pilot like me. Also you have given a complete picture of the present condition of the commercial Airlinse. Thanks a lot captain for this article.

9. Maria 7 months ago

Oh my goodness Patrick. This was a super in-depth blog, I clicked on ur links as well to read those. So lots and lots of information to imalgimate. I really enjoyed reading it and listening to the cold hard facts. Keep up the amazing work Patrick, a very enjoyable honest upfront read as always. I love the fact u never hold back and u don’t sugar coat anything. Thank you

10. Vita 7 months ago

Ottimo consiglio professionale!!….. Una descrizione di un blog curato e dettagliata

11. Roberta Formighieri 7 months ago

I found it super interesting as you spoke on the blog I liked it a lot and even iwith all the dificulties you were very realistc my dear captain!

12. Michele 7 months ago

Awesome Blog post ♡ Sure most of the young pilots or whoever wanna become as a pilot benifit from this article which is described deeply n honesty from the bottom of your heart ♡ Very informative and inspiring ♡ Thanks for sharing your aviation experience and career journey ♡ You’re always our beloved Captain PP ♡

13. Maite Vargas 7 months ago

Good night! Dear Patrick, I really liked your new blog, always so inspiring especially for young people (boys and girls), who want to be airline pilots in the future and very interesting and important for the other people. I feel so proud of you because In spite of there being negative aspects in your work, and how you say ” For me, the pilot job is linked to traveling and layovers”, you never stop loving your true passion that is to fly and fight against wind and tide, with dedication and perseverance to achieve your dreams, believe me you inspire to me in my career to do the best, thank you so much my favorite captain and go ahead.

14. Redwind 4 months ago

one reason that they get paid so much is due to the radiation risks. Being higher up means more exposure to light radiation. For example, the amount of radiation in a pilot is the same as a grounded person having 75 chest x-rays a year.

15. Ivan 3 months ago

Hi Patrick
    You have an amazing blog, thank you.
    Throughout your website you have never mentioned any numbers of how much pilots (like you) get paid for work? This would be interesting to know.
    Also, I have messaged you on Whatsapp to subscribe to your Whatsapp newsletter, but the message has been on one gray tick for about a week now…
    Thanks.
    Kind regards,
    I

16. AMIT SHAH 2 months ago

HI , I AM FROM INDIA , TODAY MY AGE IS 32 YEARS COMPLETED , AND I HAVE A GREAT PASSION OF BEING A PILOT , BUT DUE SOME OTHER FAMILY RESPONSIBLITIES , I WAS UNABLE TO GO FOR IT .. TODAY I RECREATE MY PASSION BY SEEING VIDEOS OF PILOTS EYE ON YOU TUBE CHANNEL . WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET ALIVE MY PASSION OF BEING A PILOT . PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT SOME SMALL COURSES . THANKS !!!

17. Kate Hansen 4 weeks ago

I like how you mentioned that you should have a plan B when becoming a pilot. It has always been my son’s dream to learn to fly and he wanted to know more information about becoming a pilot. I’ll make sure to pass this information along to him as he looks into getting flying lessons.