Hello my Aviator,
through my profession as a pilot, I not only became a professional traveller but a packing expert as well. I am definitely not a good example when it comes to travelling light weighted. But what makes my luggage so heavy? I will reveal the content in this blog post. Packing a suitcase for a long journey can be time-consuming and disappointing when you forget something important in the end. I will give you some great packing tips to make your next packing session a lot more enjoyable.
Home is where my bags are
I am travelling for about half of the month. Sometimes I am gone from home for one week during my travels as a pilot. My luggage becomes my loyal travel buddy. That is why I need to rely on it. Each piece needs to be the correct size and of good quality. The design of the luggage is also very important. My current checked luggage is out of polycarbonate material and with four wheels to handle it more easily. The volume of 89l and the unique shape are ideal for longer journeys. Besides my checked luggage, I take my business trolley/pilot case.
What makes my checked luggage so heavy?
Travelling light is no longer an option for me. I try to save weight wherever I can, but my blogger activities require a lot of electronics and other equipment.
I also take a good variety of clothing for photo shootings. A suit and a minimum of two pair of shoes are always on board. Besides my clothing, I pack:
10 ultimate packing tips
- Pack for the right weather and use the right size of a suitcase
- Put your clothing and items e.g. on a bed to get an overview
- Pack clothing which can be easily combined to create different outfits
- Always put your clothing in the same spot in the suitcase so you find it more easily
- Take a first aid kit for emergency cases
- Use dead space in shoes or between the telescopic handle for clothing
- Roll your clothing to occupy minimum space
- Packing cubes can be helpful to organize your clothing
- After finishing go through your checklist with the most important items
- Never put valuables in your checked luggage and use a TSA lock
In my video on YouTube channel: PilotPatrick, I wrapped it all together.
Three items I always pack
- Sleeping masks: to able to sleep in darkness also during the day
- Earplugs*: to have a silent and relaxing sleep
- Swim shorts: the beach or pool can only be one flight away
I hope you enjoyed my packing tips and find them helpful when packing next time!
What are the three items you always take on a journey? Please let me know in a comment below and subscribe to my newsletter with your email.
Safe travels and happy landings!
(*) Alle amzn.to Links sind Amazon Affiliate Links. Werden Käufe über diese Links getätigt, erhält der Linkersteller eine Provision von Amazon. Der Preis für den Käufer (Euch) ändert sich dadurch natürlich nicht.